Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 13 of the Dolce Diet Experiment

Day 13: Total weight loss - 10 lbs. I messed up in the beginnning of the Diet by not adjusting the food level fast enough for my size and activity level.  I also had a small mishap on the weekend when I veered off the Diet and caved to some weaknesses.  I think if I had not done those things, my weight loss would have been greater.  With only 8 days left I really have to stay on schedule now.  I suppose I could stay on the plan longer, but that would defeat the point of my 21 day experiment.  Anyway, thus far, despite my set backs I am please with my results and people are starting to really take notice.  Today especially, I got a lot of comments that I was looking good, I was looking strong and several people told me that there was something different about my face and eyes.  Of course my face looks different - it is thinner.  But I think the change in my eyes is satisfaction.  Satisfaction that the Diet works, satisfaction that I am sticking with it and satisfaction that all the people that told me I was being ridiculous are eating their words now!  That feels good.

Being down 10 lbs means I succeed in jump starting my metabolism, as I moved off the 9 lb plateau on which I was stuck  However, it was not without pain.  I spent most of today hungry.  I had to cut my calorie intake, which made me hungry faster.  However, I manage to fight of the hunger with small snacks every 3 to 4 hours.  Every time I felt real hunger I had something to eat.  By the time dinner came around I was OK and my body was adjusting to the new schedule.  I also had a long day at work and was feeling tired so I only worked out for 45 minutes tonight.  I am going to try to go to bed early tonight and just recover.  I have worked myself hard over the past 13 days and it is wearing on me.  I know I could have pushed through the pain tonight and exercised longer or ate every 5 hours instead of 3, but I have learned to listen to my body.  If it is telling you that it is hungry; feed it (something good of course).  If your muscles are weak (as opposed to sore); let them rest.  If you are thirsty; by all means drink something - as the feeling of thirst means you are already too late and are probably dehydrating.  If you are slepy, go to bed early.  There is no shame is getting some rest.  The recovery does much more for me that completely draining and exhausting myself, as the problems will only compound the next day. 

Lesson learned on Day 13: Listen to your body.   

No comments:

Post a Comment