Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 9 of the Dolce Diet Experiment

Fairly ordinary day.  I am officially unaffected by being on a "diet".  I no longer focus on the finish line.  I no longer count down the days until the diet is over.  I no longer stress about getting in a workout before the end of the day. You know what that means?  It means I have successfully made a change.  The "Diet" has just become an ordinary part of my day.  I don't run to the Dolce bible every moment.  I know what I should be eating and when I should be eating it.  My body tells me.  I make sure to get dinner eaten by 6 so I can effectively work out at 8.  Then I can shower, decompress, have my post workout snack and relax.

Do you know how I know a change has been made?  I realized it tonight at dinner.  While on the diet you are allowed a free meal occasionally (more like a cheat meal).  I choose tonight.  Nothing special going on, just felt like having some carbs.  My free meal consisted of few ounces of very lean steak, broccoli and brown rice.  What?  Brown rice?  Was that my carb of choice?  At the beginning of the diet, I thought about using my free meals for pizza, Italian food, maybe Mexican...... Instead my treat was brown rice.  Really?  The thought of rich, or greasy or cheesy food nauseated me.  I don't recognize myself anymore both in appearance and in behavior.

Don't get me wrong, I will indulge in beer and nachos again, but it will really only be when the mood strikes and in the right situations - probably when I am gathered with good friends and watching UFC 126.  That is a few days after I finish my three week test.  When I see Mike Dolce on TV at the weigh-in with Vitor Belfort, I will raise my glass to him.  He has taught me that a "diet" doesn't really have to be a temporary torture period.  It can be a permanent lifestyle change.

Lesson learned on Day 9:  Diets don't work - lifestyle changes do.

No comments:

Post a Comment